Friday, January 6, 2012

Log Cabin from Civil War Scraps

Well, Barbara Brackman's block-a-week celebrating the 150th anniversary of the civil war is over. Every Saturday morning in 2011, I looked forward to a new block, which I usually made on Sunday or Monday. This past Sunday, New Year's Day, I gathered up the pile of civil war reproduction fabrics that have been sitting on the floor next to my sewing machine. I sorted them by color and put them away in my stash. I set aside any "scraps" and began cutting them into 1 1/4" strips. I immediately started sewing them into log cabin blocks, pictured above!

Of course I will finish my Civil War 150 quilt. All the blocks are done but I have to go shopping for some sashing fabric and that could take a few weeks. In the meantime, I will work on my Civil War Log Cabin. Happy New Year!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. A very good looking scrappy log cabin. I love Log Cabin style quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea...I was looking at my Civil War scraps yesterday and realized that I had not made much of a dent in it at all. Could it be that I just keep adding to it???? I may join you in this log cabing...love the way yours is looking!

    ReplyDelete