Sunday, April 26, 2009

Vintage Block Challenge

Here is my entry in our quilt group's Vintage Block Challenge, due this Tuesday. We got the idea from Mary Kerr's Vintage Revisited...A Block Challenge Exhibit. I saw the exhibit at Quilt Odyssey in Hershey, Pa., last summer. Each participant gets the same vintage block and has to make a 24" square quilt using that block. In our challenge, the vintage block is the yellow star (middle right). I combined it with some "orphan" blocks from my stash. Some are old blocks and some are blocks I made using vintage fabrics. I also included some blocks made with reproduction fabrics. Everything came from my stash. The final touch was the blue jumbo rick rack in the border. It is an "interrupted border" so commonly found in old quilts. Probably because it is easier than figuring out how to turn the corner!



Look at this cute little mouse conversation print found in the Grandmother's Flower Garden block that I picked up who-knows-when. I appliqued it to the white background.

No comments:

Post a Comment